Thinning and felling works Read more
New mountain bike trail Read more
Future plans - management proposals
- Our current proposals involve Access, Biodiversity and Felling.
- Find detailed descriptions of our plans on our Facebook page.
- In the first instance, we will address urgent security and safety issues such as securing boundaries and removing dangerous trees.
- We will create natural glades by felling trees to increase the amount of light reaching the woodland floor.
- We will improve the diversity of the canopy by planting and encouraging native species of trees over non-native ones.
- In partnership with Silvapower, we will continue to harvest conifers for commercial harvest which will be used for biofuel in Sheffield and Barnsley.
- Over time, we will reduce the predominance of conifers in the woods.
- By changing the structure and mix of species in the woods, we will maximise the positive effects on wildlife and increase their resilience to climate change.
- We will engage local people and volunteers to help us plan, develop and manage the woods.
Get involved - Reserve Advisory Group meetings (RAG)
Grenoside Conservation Society is now holding every other meeting as a Reserve Advisory Group for the woods. Anyone with an interest in the woods is welcome to attend. Remaining dates for this year are: 3rd September and 5th November. Meet at 7.30 pm at Grenoside Community Centre.